JJ Reads

The Disenchantments

The Disenchantments - Nina LaCour I went into this book expecting to read a light, fluffy story about kids in a band who go abroad. I couldn't be farther from the truth. This story is about making life altering decisions, those that every teenager is faced with at the end of their high school careers. The Runaways, Heart, and other 80's girl bands all take part in the soundtrack of what is the life of the characters in this book.

I had my doubts, at first, about the nature of Colby and Bev's relationship. Are they together? Are they just best friends? but my questions were answered shortly after when it is revealed that Colby is in fact, head over heels over Bev and the unofficial groupie of the worst girl band in history, The Disenchantments. I liked Colby a lot. He's the good guy who can't catch a break with the girl he likes. He's in the best-friend zone and he can't get away from it, because Bev won't see him as anything but, even though she knows exactly how he feels towards her.

I honestly didn't like Bev one bit. I didn't appreciate the way she treated, used, and lied to Colby. On the flip side, I thought that Colby was way too attached and shouldn't have let Bev dictate the course of his life the way she had always done. Okay, so they had plans to go abroad after graduation, and Bev bailed on him and applied to College, but still, there's always community college that he could have gone to the first year while he applies to another school.

All in all, the story was good. There were times that I was frustrated with the two main characters, and there were times when I wasn't sure where the story was going, but I slowly realized that every element in the story was put there for a reason. For example, Colby's mother painted a bird that became the artwork for his father's band back in his day, this bird happened to appear in a photo album of tattoos that were done a while ago, and a search for the person with this tattoo resulted in Colby eventually finding out what he wanted to do with his life. This is a cute, coming of age story, that will appeal to music lovers and road trip enthusiasts alike. I rate it 3 stars.

(Originally reviewed at JJiReads.blogspot.com)