JJ Reads

Every Other Day

Every Other Day - Jennifer Lynn Barnes Preternatural creatures, Zombies, Hellhounds, Vampires, Chupacabras, and everything else that goes bump in the night. You name it, our heroine Kali, has fought it and won. Kali, who might otherwise seem like a normal girl, not quite Indian, not quite white, and with unnaturally sharp fingernails, is not quite human either, at least every other day.

Every other day, Kali undergoes a transformation. From human to something else not even she knows what it is. Unaware of how or why she is this way, once Kali goes into predator mode, nothing can stop her and she is relentless at hunting down those creatures of the night. Her blood, too sweet for these creatures to resist, was also poison to them. That coupled with the fact that she didn't feel pain, made her almost invincible.

That was only temporary though, for every other day Kali changed back into a regular, average human, with no special powers and no extra strength. A nerve wracking period where she would count down to her next change, like a ticking time bomb, while aware that she was completely vulnerable and exposed to her enemies.

I enjoyed reading from Kali's POV. She was straight and to the point when it came to accepting what she was. Her determination in saving someone's life, even when she was not in super human form, made me admire her even more. Her relationship with her father, or lack thereof, was heartbreaking, and even though she acted like it didn't matter, I felt her underlying pain. I connected with character quite a bit.

I was, however, unable to connect with the rest of the characters in the book, except for Skylar, the bubbly maybe-maybe not psychic friend of Kali's. Bethany, Zev, and the others felt very detached to me, and their personalities were boring, in my opinion. I also felt that the last 1/4 f the book was rushed and I lost my way through the plot as I struggled to make sense of the revelations that were taking place.

I did enjoy that this book reminded me a bit of Buffy, so I would recommend this book to fans of the paranormal, who like their heroines tough and likable but with not-so-strong secondary characters. I give this book 3 stars out of 5.

(Originally reviewed at JJiReads.blogspot.com)