JJ Reads

The Mayfair Moon (The Darkwoods Trilogy, #1)

The Mayfair Moon (The Darkwoods Trilogy, #1) - J.A. Redmerski It's been a while since I've read a book about werewolves, so this book was a welcomed change. Quite entertaining and with plenty of action, J.A. Redmerski introduces us to a world where the war is between the werewolves themselves, without any interference from other supernatural beings. Two teenage sisters who are very close, Adria and Alexandra (Alex), live with their mother and their abusive step-father. One day, while seeking a break from the fighting going on at home, the two sisters head out to the park and stay there until after the sun sets. While on their way back home, they come across two werewolves fighting, and are unwillingly caught in the middle of it. They both suffer injuries from basically being in the wrong place at the wrong time, but Alex, the older sister, bore the brunt of the beating while trying to protect her little sister. Because the neighbors were already suspicious of what was going on in the girls' home and them coming home so obviously beat up, coupled with the fact that they missed a few days of school to recover, Child Protective Services got involved. The girls were sent away to live with their uncle and his wife in Maine.

Once in Maine, Alex becomes very detached and cold, hardly ever leaving her room and even becoming verbally abusive. Adria, while also in shock from the experience they had back at home in Georgia, is handling things better and is grateful to her uncle and wife for taking them in and giving them a loving home. Adria can't understand why Alex is behaving this way, so not like the way she used to be, and is worried about what is going on in Alex's head. One night Adria follows Alex as she takes off into the woods and joins a gang of werewolves. This event unleashes a series of confrontations, threats and fights, because another family of werewolves, the Mayfairs, take Adria into their protection from her own sister and the Vargas family. The battle between the two were-families, the Mayfairs and the Vargas, ensues.

Usually, when I come across a book with werewolves, there's almost always another type of being (vampires, fae, etc.), but this book was just about werewolves and the role they play right under humans' noses. I found that very interesting. I also liked the main character, Adria, a lot. I'm always a fan of strong female characters who take matters into their own hands. The writing flowed and Adria's POV was down to earth, like the girl next door would tell a story. I did wish that the romance between Adria and Isaac had been better developed in the beginning. It seemed like they skirted around the issue of being attracted to each other for a while, but then suddenly, they were together. Not exactly insta-love, but I would have liked a little more pursuit before jumping into a relationship. That's just a personal choice though. Overall this was a great book. It leaves you with a cliffhanger, so I'm looking forward to the sequel. 3 Stars.

(Originally reviewed at JJiReads.blogspot.com)